Monday, February 28, 2011

Blog #3

Hello everyone.  A few big changes are coming.

You might have noticed a short story below.  I have more on the way.  I'm trying to venture out into other literary genres with my writing.  Writing only poems, haiku, short stories, etc is so limiting.  Some forms are better at communicating certain ideas more so than others.  I've always liked to hear stories, and now I'm trying to tell them.  And while I've always been creative, but that hasn't led to me creating.  I see writing as much as possible in any format possible as an attempt to squeeze as much as I can out of myself.

I just read that April is National Poetry Month.  I've decided that for the entire month of April, I will write and publish a poem every day and read a poem from a different poet everyday.  Some of the poems will undoubtedly be short, poorly thought out, and probably not very good, but I think the exercize of writing will be tremendous.

Also, there is another reason for my new writing of short stories.  I am going to attempt NANOWRIMO this November, and I want as much preparation as possible.  If you don't know what NANOWRIMO is, it is is National Novel Writing Month.  The goal is to write 50,000 words in a month.  I think its a great stimulus for those of us who have always wanted to write but needed some initial oomph.  Anyway, I want to learn my limitations, how much I'm capable of writing and how much I need to push myself, so I can be prepared to rip out 50,000 words in 30 days come November.  The first short story was 904 words, so it will be like writing 50 of those to complete it.  Damn.

Last, and definitely not least, I am contemplating a move to another blog hosting website.  If that happens, it will be soon.  I started blogging here a long time ago for a class followed by several personal blogs with only one post.  After an English class blog, I tried again, but this one is the first one that stuck.  I've never shopped around, and my eyes are being enticed by other places.  I also want to have two blogs: one purely personal, the other for my poems, articles, short stories, etc.  For now, however, this will be the go to place fro all my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment